Friday 11 February 2011

C25k Week 1 Day 1

For those of you who don't know, the Couch to 5k program (C25k) is an immensely popular fitness program that comes in a few different forms (8-12 weeks typically) and aims to take your average exercise-shy individual like me and to get them running a full 5 kilometers (3.1 miles) by the end of the program. In reality for many, they don't actually reach the distance target, but instead they will still be able to run for a full 30 minutes non-stop which, lets be honest is something that is beyond 80% of the population.

I have NEVER run or jogged in my life and I am very unfit at the moment. At the age of 31 and two kids later I am frankly starting to feel that I am not a 20 year old lad who can eat and drink what he wants with no cost. Over the past two years, I have grown a podgy belly. Having been skinny as a rake all my life, this has been a shocking transformation I can assure you. The thing I have noticed most is just going up a couple of flights of stairs is an experience that leaves me short of breath. I have decided that this actually sucks and I need to do something about it for the sake of me and my family. I want to be able to run around with my children as they grow and live to a ripe age to do the same with my grandchildren.

Enter C25k. I've chosen the 9 week version advertised by coolrunnings.com and the NHS. The first week of this plan see the willing participant walk briskly for 5 minutes to warm up and then alternate 60 seconds jogging with 90 seconds walking 8 times for a total of 20 minutes.

I decided to just get on and do this last Monday to see what running outside was like. Just armed with a watch, my usual pair of trainers and a hoodie top. I think to be honest in the jogging bits, I just ran too fast. I was knackered after 10 minutes so I walked back home with my tail between my legs.

After doing a bit of research, learning about running shoes, pacing etc, I set out on Wednesday more prepared to take the jogging sessions very slowly (you are supposed to be able to hold a conversation whilst running) and finding a proper pair of running shoes. I did both of these and also downloaded the week 1 NHS podcast to help with timings etc for the run. Unfortunately for me, Monday's run seems to have damaged my calf muscles somewhat. They had felt in bad condition on the day and I was in pain even after the brisk walk. About 9 minutes in and facing an uphill section of the run, I just couldn't do it. My shins and calves were struggling to hobble back home. I noticed half way at this point that I had also locked my ipod and thus the GPS signal so the "running" part I did was not even tracked. The only relatively pleasing aspect is that I didn't feel at all puffed out after the few running stints I managed so that encourages me that I can get through this with pacing and a working body.

So the stats are out because of GPS user error, but it tracked me at:
2.1km @10:32/km

My vitals are:
180lbs, Body Fat 25.7% (ouch!), BMI: 25.8 (Overweight).

I am desperate for my calves to recover for my run tomorrow after a what has been a two day rest. They are better but still twinging when I walk. I am relying on ice packs (that is bags of green beans) to help. I've got another 20 odd hours before run 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment